Note: I am going to do something in this post that I promised I would never do. I am going to (ugh) get sentimental. Oh sure, I re-live old tales of the past with a hazy, sepia-toned eye all the time. But this is about all the people in my life now. Yes, it may be vomit-inducing, but it needed to be done. (Especially since it's the end of April and I was really drawing a blank about other topics.) So if you detest award banquets and/or interviews with James Lipton, you may want to turn your head or click "Next Blog" up top.
Okay, I'm not very good at this.
The last couple of months have been a struggle for me. There has been a lot of change and transition in my life. Anyone who has talked to me since my 30th birthday knows what I'm talking about. Anyway, I just wanted to take a second to sincerely thank all the people (well, my "subscribers" anyway) who have really been there for me and kept me from jumping out the nearest window on those tougher days.
I am a creature of habit. I do not fear change; change scares the living piss out of me. I have never been able to deal with it or react to it. And lately, my life has been turned around in a lot of ways. I have felt an odd sense of limbo. My surroundings are different, and my daily and weekly routines are different. So when an event comes up that upends with the convoluted order I have tried to maintain in my life, it sends me into somewhat of an existential tailspin.
So with that, I want to specifically name and thank those folks who have seen my unrest and reached out to me. Whether it's inviting me to stay the weekend, to go out for a drink, or to just hang out and watch TV. You have all been great and when the proverbial chips were down for me, you all propped me up. And I really, sincerely thank all of you, without even a hint of irony (if that's even possible). I have to tell you guys like this because I just can't do this kind of thing in front of you. So sorry if it comes off a little impersonal. But trust me, I know you guys are the best. (This is absolutely no particular order, by the way.)
- Javen and TT, for hosting me in the Electric City a couple times (with more to come, I hope) as well as visiting me on Final Four weekend. (Danny, this goes for you too, buddy.) You guys really go out of your way to show me a good time and it does not go unnoticed.
- Doug and Rachel, I feel like that homeless drunk who just shows up on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, which won't be the same after you guys leave. I want to thank you for letting me come over and hang out. It's been a weekly highlight. Sorry I leave so many empties and stay so late. I'm sad to see you guys go, but I feel like I've really maximized my last few months together with you.
- Will and Jaime, my new roomies. Even though you are taking away my beloved "bachelor pad," I am very glad you are going to be here. I hope we can keep the Friday tradition alive, even if just for an hour or so. And who knows, maybe after that, Will and I can have sex with each other? Just a thought.
- Mike C., my ace boon coon. I've only seen him once but he is constantly making me laugh by calling me terrible names and implying that I am a homosexual. And, last paragraph aside, who would ever believe that? (Quiet, Javen.) Thanks for at least saying to my face what so many others say behind my back.
- Tracie, who helps me figure things out and maintain perspective. Day by day, you help me see the light at the end of the tunnel, always keeping my spirits up when they are down. Whether it's lending me $1.43 when I'm short on coffee money or just telling a funny story about how you tripped on something and fell, I hope I can somehow pay you back for the strength and support you have given me.