Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Not As Dumb As You Thought

Well that didn't last long.

I know that I promised you all that I would not blog for another month. And I am usually one to keep my promises. But I figured I should throw this one up there. It's partly because I find it interesting and partly because I might be bragging just a little bit. Besides, my biggest fan beseeched me not to hide my light under a bushel. Anything for you, babe.


I took two IQ tests today online on different websites. (One was at Fun Education, the other was at Tickle.com. Click to go to either or both.) I am not sure whether these tests are official or accredited or what. But since my mom promised me on the day of my high school graduation that she would tell me what my I.Q. was, and never delivered (ahem...), I had to take matters into my own hands.

The results were surprising. Turns out I am "gifted" by I.Q. standards. On the Tickle.com test, I scored at 135; on the Fun Education test, I scored a 138.

Let me read you what the Tickle.com test said. (And by the way, they say it's PhD approved, so don't let the fact that the site sounds like a kinky adult site minimize my near-genius.)

Your Intellectual Type is Visionary Philosopher. This means you are highly intelligent and have a powerful mix of skills and insight that can be applied in a variety of different ways. Like Plato, your exceptional math and verbal skills make you very adept at explaining things to others — and at anticipating and predicting patterns. And that's just some of what we know about you from your IQ results.


They compared me to Plato! And I used to eat Play-Dough! That's gotta be fate!

Now luckily, I roll with some very smart mo-fo's, which is pretty much everyone who reads this blog. (I would like to take credit for my blog making my readers just that much smarter, but who would I be fooling?) Therefore, I will not get a swelled head about this. But it is nice to have that little ego boost to know I'm not a drooling moron.

I am glad that the numbers were consistent. Anywhere in the 130s is pretty good, I think, so I'll take what I can get. (Apparently 142 and above is "Genius" level. 100 is dead-average.) I am very surprised, because even though I know my intelligence is okay, my grades were always terrible in high school, and only somewhat better in college. And I think I can chalk that up to my lack of focus, lack of drive and lack of clarity. (I once had a professor in college tell me I was "brilliant but lazy." He was right about the lazy part. He should have said "gifted but lazy," then he would have been right on the nose. I'm gifted, remember?)

I probably have some form of dyslexia or learning disability or something. Not that I'm making excuses, but I always feel like my head is cloudy and I can't think straight. Of course, other things will do that to a person too. Like love or some such thing. I have also been taking gingko biloba which apparently helps memory and increases blood flow throughout the brain and other parts of the body. Maybe I should take the test again without the gingko and see if it comes out different. Actually, I'll bet the gingko doesn't have much effect; no drug that good can be that cheap. It's like $1.99 a bottle.

Wow, considering I'm "gifted" I have really rambled on quite a bit in this one. What better way to express irony than writing about how high your I.Q. is and punctuating it with zero clarity of writing. Good job, Plato.

Anyway, I may or may not blog again before 7/22. So mark it down: it's a day I will definitely remember, that's for sure.

No comments: